Avocado Asparagus Orzo
Avocado asparagus orzo with basil and garlic: healthier than your average cream sauce pasta, this version calls for 2 avocados (good fat) to give it that creamy taste without the heaps of saturated fat.
I worked off of this recipe, from RubberCowgirl.com, and decided to use orzo instead of risotto (mainly because I was in a rush and could not find Arborio rice). Both work, it’s just a matter or whether you want a rice dish or pasta (which orzo technically is, even though it looks like rice…confusingg).
- 1-2 cups orzo
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 pack fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Half a lemon
- Grated parmesan (optional)
- Cook the orzo (I used half a box) according to box directions
- Chop the asparagus into bite sized pieces and steam until bright green
- Saute the garlic in skillet and add the steamed asparagus for a couple minutes
- Add contents of skillet to the pot of cooked orzo, after draining any excess water from the pot
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder and add some chopped basil
- Mash up the avocados, adding garlic powder and any desired seasoning, along with the lemon juice
- Add avocado mixture to the orzo and mix it all together
- Add the grated parmesan, if desired
- Add more chopped basil atop individual dishes and sprinkle with parmesan cheese (good without it too)
- Serve with a salad and red wine!