LBDs, Cozy Nooks and Swanky Libations – A Speakeasy Roundup
Speakeasies are my favorite watering holes, right after off-the-beaten-path dive bars (For the atmosphere only…I’d rather have a PBR than a $15 cocktail). I recently spent an eve at PX, a 1920s style “lounge” in Old Town Alexandria, replete with cozy nooks and swanky cocktails. Opt for a spot in the candle-lit back room, rather than the bar, for maximum enjoyment.
I had visited a few speakeasies before, but my first attempt at getting into this particular one did not go so well…as in, I was denied. “But I’m in a shmancy dress! I feel really cute, you guys!” Nope. Apparently you have to make a reservation, woops. This keeps the crowd to a minimum, and allows you to fully enjoy the space.
Here is a list of comfortable and intimate speakeasies that are worth paying a visit to:
- D.C.- The Gibson: Located in U Street area, at 2009 14th St NW, Washington, DC 20009, this spot has a cozy interior, with red velvet booths, a nice bar area, and a spacious outdoor area.
- Philadelphia – Ranstead Room: Located in Rittenhouse Square, at 2013 Ranstead St, this one met the dark, cozy, candlelit qualifications (red velvet wallpaper!).
- New York City – The Back Room: Located in the lower east side, at 102 Norfolk St., between Delancy and Rivington St., this is one of the few speakeasies that actually dates back to the 1920s (it’s the real deal!). This also happens to be my top fave of all speakeasies I’ve been to, based on the warm, inviting atmosphere (it even has a fireplace mmm), and the super hidden entrance (you question where you are headed). Beer is in paper bags and cocktails in teacups. Look for a sign that reads “Lower East Side Toy Company”, after you walk through a gate off the sidewalk, down the alleyway, and up the stairs.
—Oh, I also enjoyed the phone booth one in NYC– You step into a vintage phone booth/secret door to enter, which is located in Crif Dogs. This one is called PDT (Please Don’t Tell), found in East Village, at 113 St Marks Pl. You need to make a reservation!
- Virginia – PX: Located at 728 King St, Alexandria- find PX by spotting the blue light and pirate flag. The pictures I added of the lounge room do not do it justice…it’s just so adorable and comfy! Don’t forget to make a reservation.
*Outfit deets and images at bottom of post*
- LBD: H&M — similar one here, from Forever21
- Coat: Vintage (thanks Nena!) — similar one here, from Macy’s
- Wedge boots: similar pair here, from DSW