The D.C. cherry blossom peak bloom was ahhhSoAmazing…perfect picnic weather and setting. Sunshine, warmth, and fluffy pink petals canopied over lush green blanket nooks. Add a few friends, snackies and mimosas, and hwoah– #theperfectpicnic.
As crowded as D.C. gets for the cherry blossom festival/peak bloom, there are always a surprising amount of picnic spots open along the tidal basin. We took over a large space by the MLK Memorial, with gorgeous views across the water. The Roosevelt memorial is another less crowded zone for sprawling out under the trees.
See my lists below for picnic packing suggestions, a few of my favorite picnic spots in & around DC, and my outfit deets.
**The fancy photos are by Steph Wesolowski (thanks Steph!)**
Picnic Packing Checklists:
- Plastic cups
- Paper Plates
- Plastic forks, knives, spoons
- Napkins & paper towels
- Mini speaker
- Travel sized games (like Apples to Apples)
- Ice packs/ice
- Trash bag
- Phone charger (if you know you will be out all day– it came in handy at the bar afterwards!)
- Pitcher of mimosas
- Cheese & crackers
- Hummus & pita chips
- Salsa salad
Fave picnic spots in & around D.C.:
- Tidal basin (by the MLK or Roosevelt memorials)
- Gravely Point Park (see this earlier post of mine)
- Georgetown Waterfront Park (watch the kayakers and rowers go by or cool off in the fountain)
- Rosslyn Gateway Park – best during the free outdoor movie series (see my earlier post)
- The Yards Park – go during the Friday Night Concert Series (new schedule has been posted)
- Paradise Springs Winery, in adorable Clifton, VA (the closest vineyard outside of D.C., with a beautiful grassy space for picnicking; open year-round)
- Billy Goat Trail (Maryland) – set up on one of the large rocks along the water and dip your toes!
- Old Town, Alexandria – set up along the waterfront after a bike ride on the Mt. Vernon Trail.
- Flower crown- Forever21
- Lace top- Love On A Hanger – also carried at Nordstrom Rack. Similar(ish) piece here.
- Neon Pink pants- No Boundaries
- Neon shoes- Nike skittles low top